It's been a week since my last blog. I've built up a lot of things to say.
Sometimes, on Facebook, I don't look at the list of people that are available to chat. I don't want to know who doesn't want to talk to me right now. Yet at the same time, I'm strangely comforted knowing they're out there.
I'm really bothered by the political climate lately. Not coming from the politicians, but from everyday, regular Americans. Well, as regular as they can be. Listen up everyone: IGNORANCE IS NOT A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.
To the right wing conservative, Rush Limbaugh lovin', Obama hatin' people who spew lies and rumors without the benefit of basic fact checking: You can continue to blame and wallow in self-righteousness, or you can realize that regardless of who is in office, this is the world we live in now, and it is bigger than you, me, and an American president.
Mind you, I don't have anything against conservatives. I do have somehing against conservatives (and liberals, for that matter), who base their opinions and arguments on ridiculous lies, half-truths, and twisted agendas. Understand the difference between fact and shit that is made up to influence people. I get tired of emails that say Obama lets her live in poverty, he's responsible for the swine flu, and he's a Muslim trying to take over the country. If these arguments wouldn't hold up in a court of law, they shouldn't hold up in a court of opinion. And yes, if McCain was president I would be saying the same thing. Except, of course, that McCain being a Republican war hero has never heard of poverty and has no idea that non-Christians exist. :)
For the record: Obama's mother is dead. This isn't the first go-round for the swine flu (google "Why Senior Citizens don't need a swine flu shot") and he can't take over the country. Checks and balances people. Our government was founded on the basis of checks and balances to not allow anyone to have too much power.
Not happy about the health care agenda? Email your congressman - they hold the real power. Sending emails about how the hospital that Michelle Obama worked for got a couple mill once Obama became a senator - not helping the health care agenda. And whether you like it or whether you don't, Obama has, in 7 short months, gotten America talking and acting upon something that the 4 previous presidents haven't - decent, affordable health care for every single American. Agree with him, or don't agree with him, but at least acknowledge the effort.
And likening Obama to Hitler...Really? Really? Is that something you can historically back up, with facts? Hitler killed millions of people based on their religion, race, and a variety of other characteristics. Last I checked, none of the news organizations were reporting the sudden disappearance of millions of Americans.
Really, I don't care if you like him or if you don't. I have my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I'm also entitled not to share it, because I don't care if you like him or don't. However, I do care if you are basing your opinion on alleged facts from biased sources (which, let's face it, just about all of them are), or emails you get forwarded from your friends. Stop the madness. Stop it now. Educate yourself, inform, and get involved. He didn't say "Yes, I can" he said "Yes we can".
The world is a big place, and we can no longer afford isolationism. We can fight it and get nowhere, or we can join it and make the world a better place for everyone. Idealistic? Yes. Possible? Definitely.
How about we make it a world where a young African American boy doesn't have to ask the President, "Why does everyone hate you?"
Can you tell the idiots have me fired up tonight?
I risked pamonyea and the swine flu on Saturday to sit through the Michigan/Penn State game. There's a tradition at the Big House that I'm not very fond of. When the other team fails to convert on 3rd down, the band plays this little war chant thingie, and at the end, everyone yells "You suck!"
This isn't polite.
Furthermore, it isn't really nice to yell at what are essentially a bunch of kids out doing their best in an attempt at a better life, either through an education or a football draft worth gazillions of dollars. Would you yell it at a team of high school soccer players? No. Then don't yell it at the football players who are barely a year older than that.
And definitely don't yell it when you're down 35-10. At that point, WE suck.
I feel like I'm on the verge of something big. Of breaking out. I don' know what yet, but watch this space. Something big will happen.
In case I haven't mentioned it in a while, I think Dave Matthews Band is quite possibly the best blend of music since, well, since someone decided to play the drums and the guitar at the same time. Maybe my big-break-out thing will just be following DMB around Europe, hippie-style, with my hair all dread-ed out, backpack on my back, sleeping on trains. Good times.
Speaking of, ever wonder about the origin of music? Like how did someone decide that the beating of drums (in whatever form), went with other instrumentation? When was the first jam session held? Cave-people rockin it out with sticks, clubs, and hollow bamboo? Good times.
I'm ready for my next tattoo. Any suggestions?
I think I would like to take a year off and just live in a tent someplace - warm of course. Not like Florida, because I don't want to be mistaken for a homeless person, but maybe New Mexico or Sedona, Arizona. I can get a lot read, reconvene with nature (whatever that means), and have a lot of time to think. As long as wherever it is has flushy toilets. I draw the line at a year's worth of portapotties. I do have some standards.
Everyone...right now. Go put on your fave band, crank the speakers, and dance in your living room. Reckless abandon. Open the shades. Who cares if someone sees you....it's your house, it's your life, and it's your song. Play it.
Loves!
WOW!!! OMG!! this is the best BV yet!
ReplyDeleteExcellent post, Jean! Very well written!!!
ReplyDeleteFound myself nodding in agreement and yelling, "You go girl."
ReplyDeleteJeaners:
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed the blog except for I think you let the conservative,ignorant people off the hook to easy. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. What most of these people are is STUPID. Believing what the right wing propagada spews out just proves my point over and over every night. It is a sad thing to know that half of this country has very limited brain power and no imagination and even less ability to care about their fellow citizen. On another note, I like what you wrote about not trashing young men busting their ass to play for the crowd. Also, no trashing a team who is whipping your butt. Last note, KISS is playing and the neighbors are walking up the stairs to complain. ;-) Mike
Love it!! However, what you said about the conservatives goes for the liberals as well. Ignorance isn't limited to any one political party. That's why I refuse to claim either as my own. Everyone should figure out what is important to them and choose accordingly. Stop buying the party line and stand up for yourself!
ReplyDeleteAnyone who reads these blogs and doesn't think my sister is a genius writer is both ignorant AND stupid. :)
ReplyDelete