::jumps on soapbox::
This guys says everything I think: http://www.lifewithoutpants.com/
This topic gets me fired up. The mere thought that people are allowed to tell other people what to do astounds me. At our basic core, if we don't have freedom and control over ourselves, what is the point?
Let me state, for the record, right here and now: I am not for gay rights. Yep, you read that right. I'm not for gay rights because I would rather fight for HUMAN rights. I refuse to label people or put them into "groups". I'm for HUMAN rights. I don't think people should have rights because they're gay, straight, minority, women, poor, whatever. I think they should have rights because they're HUMAN. Labeling people is what denies people rights in the first place,
The fact that, if I were born gay, someone else would get to decide who I get to love, who I get to marry, and who I get to sit by while they're dying is unfathomable. And unacceptable.
People are people, so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully? If Jen reads this, she'll be able to comment on the great philosopher who said this. But he was wise before his time.
This is one of my greatest problems with organized religion. People are allowed to discriminate, label, exclude, and harass, and hide behind their God while doing it. Epic fail. The higher being I have chosen to believe in created all in his image. It doesn't say anywhere in that man-written book that people thump that God created only the straight, rich, white man in his image. ALL PEOPLE, people. There is no excuse for the bigotry that exists.
History, and the generations that preceded me, have done a commendable job eradicating legalized prejudice based on skin color and gender. I only hope that my generation, and the generations to come, will embrace the opportunity to advance the rights of ALL humans, regardless of who they love. I pray that in the future, people are not seen as black, white, gay, straight, blonde, two-legged, or freckle-faced, but rather, will be judged on the content of their heart, and the good that they contribute to the world.
::off soapbox::
Now, on to other random thoughts that keep me up at night:
1. My whole body hurts. I'd like to blame arthritis, the flu, whatever, but I think that would be denying the obvious.
2. I've had more opportunity to hang out with my nieces in the past few days, and it has made me realize how much I'll miss having kids of my own. Most women my age are looking for men with money. I've got my own money. I'm looking for a man who can give me what I can't get myself...kids. Is that weird?
3. I'm pretty sure Kylee & Mia (nieces extraordinaire) are the smartest kids on the planet. And the cutest. But enough about them.
4. I've decided that my lack of peace and calm in my life lately can be attributed to my diminished showering habits. OK, I used to be a once-a-day showerer. Faithfully and without fail. Then, I stopped taking showers at night before I went to bed, because they woke me back up and it took forever to go to sleep. Then, I stopped taking them in the morning because, well, durnitall, I just can't get up early enough for that. Don't get me wrong...I still shower, like, every other day or so. I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but whatever. Deal. Anywhoo, the shower is often where I do my best thinking, relaxing, and pondering. This is because they haven't yet perfected the waterproof laptop so I can facebook whilst deep conditioning my hair. But, lacking that decompression time every other day, I think, has made me more unsettled. Back to daily showers, perhaps when I get home from work.
5. I have not spent nearly enough time lately with my BFF. Wanna do lunch?
6. My friends are coming up this weekend from WVA. While I love to see them, I never get anything done when they're here. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I need more "never get anything done" days.
7. I went to Kirk Park on Friday night, and stayed in their little cabin there. We walked over the dune and walked on the beach. Stars out, waves whipping on the shore, gorgeous night. Couldn't figure out why we were the only ones there.
8. Couldn't figure out why I was scared of the dark. I think I've always been scared of the dark. Except in caves. Is that weird?
9. Today, I shall be grateful that I have a job, a home, and food on my table.
10. I like a boy, but will never tell him that outright. Unless he asks. Which he won't. Oh well.
11. Have you ever checked out http://www.postsecrets.com/?
12. Also, check out the group Here Come the Mummies. Amazing!
13. On Friday night, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the Menstrual Cap. Where have I been? I never knew these things existed. I'm just a wee bit sad that I'll never be able to try it. But then, six seconds later, I'm over it. Especially since I can't figure out the logistics of how to clean it out in a toilet stall.
14. Which brings me to another topic....technological advances in feminine protection really haven't kept up with the times. In, say, 100,000 years of menstrual cycles, the best we can come up with are mini-diapers, and expanding cotton balls, and apparently now, caps that need to be shoved into and retrieved from high in the nether regions. Really? I pity the women of the next 100,000 years.
15. Why is our head of maintenance at work so darn grumpy? Just a freaking little ray of sunshine that guy is. He needs to not take himself too seriously.
16. Sunday nights are the best.night.of.tv.ever. And I only know this because Monday is not, and therefore I have something to compare it to.
17. BRB. Gotta go get some cheese.
18. Back.
19. Turns out I'm not so clever. Everyone knows I didn't go see the Clooney movie last weekend.
20. Did anyone order a Pampered Chef ice cream scoop from me? I can't remember who it was.
21. BRB. Gotta go get some ice cream.
22. Just kidding.
23. I'm very much excited to get a bunch o' work done at this house. It's starting to wear me down.
24. I'm also very much excited to get a bunch o' work done at work.
25. I had a phone screening job interview today. I sucked. I answered the questions all wrong....I did everything I always commented on other people doing wrong when I interviewed them. That Karma...it's a bitch.
26. I miss Ann Arbor.
27. I want to open a school for all children who don't fit in at their school, because they're too smart, too hyper, not smart enough, too "different". They need a place to belong.
28. I like the name Justin.
29. I need to finish reading my book for book club. It's due at the library tomorrow. I'm on page 30.
30. Goodnight.
Okay Jean...3 things...
ReplyDelete1. I think you'd like my church - seriously. You sounded like my pastor in the first part of your blog there. :-) We ARE all created in the image of God.
2. How old are these cute, smart nieces? Because I have the cutest, smartest 5 year old boy sleeping right here at my house. :-)
3. Micah wants to sign up for your school. (well, okay - he didn't really say that, but I want him to!)
Oops, I forgot to add for my #2 - ...and I'm not opposed to a littel matchmaking if they are the right ages...
ReplyDeleteDepeche Mode rules.. They remind me of a time where it was fashionable to have a "tail". One that wasn't connected to your rear, but your head!
ReplyDelete2. Been having a hard time with that one lately. Most of the time I am perfectly content with my 2 step daughters and wouldn't want another kid if I could. Sometimes (like this week for some reason) it dawns on me the things I will be missing out on. When they came into my lives they were 4 and 10. Some say I am lucky that I missed out on the baby years but it hurts knowing there are things I will never experience.
ReplyDelete20. You are still looking for the owner of the ice cream scoop? Rose stood up yesterday and said um, is this yours haha.
Yepper, that was Depeche Mode. And don't even get me started on the human rights thing. In my opinion, because who else's would it be, if God is the beginning and the end and includes all things, isn't it possible that part of God is that very person who you think shouldn't be able to have the same basic rights that you do? Putting limits on people puts limits on God, and I thought I learned that was not possible.
ReplyDeleteCrap, here's your soap box back.
I would have totally gone to your school for misfits.
;) Jen
PS...I'll do lunch even if I'm not #5.
ReplyDelete~j
Hey Jean, along the lines of BeckyD's #1, you should read the book "what's so amazing about Grace?" by Philip Yancey. Very good book!
ReplyDelete